Thursday, August 20, 2009

Red-Velvet

I would marry red-velvet cake and our love story would be epic. We would run away for romantic holidays and grow old together...

Red-velvet is the perfect cake. There is no debating that fact AT ALL. I challenge anyone to find me a more phenomenal combination of flour, sugar and food coloring! Smothered in cream-cheese icing, sprinkled with walnuts, dusted with powdered sugar or eaten plain, red-velvet has a way of making me feel cozy and at peace with the world. I remember the first time I ate red-velvet. The fantastic KR introduced me to it and it was a match made in fat kid heaven Ever since that fateful day, I was hooked. So I set out to create the perfect recipe and to be honest…I think I did it! What I love, is that it can be made into a cake or cupcakes… or just eaten raw off the beaters (no judging…it’s that fantastical).

Here you go…

* 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 cups sugar
* 1-teaspoon baking soda
* 1-teaspoon salt
* 2 teaspoons cocoa powder (Chocolate? Yes please!)
* 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
* 1-cup buttermilk, room temperature
* 2 large eggs, room temperature
* 2 tablespoons red food coloring (this can be substituted for 2 tablespoons of any color depending on your preference…I made a blue cake once, but it definitely didn’t taste as delish as it did when it was red. Its like attempting to eat purple ketchup…it’s still ketchup, but it never quite tastes the same)
* 1-teaspoon white distilled vinegar
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

This is how you make it…

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees…I’m well aware that with baking it’s all about the technique, but lets be honest I just really love food and I don’t think food is all that finicky about how you prepare it…at least my red-velvet isn’t. I don’t sift flower and I don’t use 10 different bowls to “incorporate” the dry and wet…there is no need. Just start by putting all the dry ingredients together and then slowly add the wet in one big mixing bowl…end of story. Pour evenly into 9-inch rounds or cupcake trays. I would say 20 -22 min for cupcakes and about the same time for the cake.

There are a few ways you can ice this sweet and decadent treat…

Powdered Sugar (simple and easy)
Container of pre-made vanilla icing…super simple and delish
Plain and simple
Or my favorite way…

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

* 1 pound cream cheese, softened
* 2 sticks butter, softened
* 1-teaspoon vanilla extract
* 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar

Directions: Mix it all together…duh!

At the end of the day, I’d rather be chubby with a tummy full of red-velvet, than be skinny and hungry. Enjoy!

XO,

AC
This is not my red-velvet cake, but its what it should look...doesn't it look yummy?

No comments:

Post a Comment