Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Silly Suppers

My posts are usually more upbeat. Tomorrow I will be back to talking about fashion, my awkwardness and food. However, today is about Jessica.

Tomorrow morning marks the day that my oldest friend Jessica will make her trip to Mexico to be placed in a Ketamine Coma. Her mother has started a blog that describes what Jessica has been going through the past 3 years. She is suffering from Jessica is suffering from neurologic Lyme disease and Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) Please read her story and show your support to the family. They need it!

http://www.hopeforjessica.blogspot.com/


This post does NOT even begin to explain how amazing she is. Words can’t describe it. During a time when all I want to do is cry, these are the memories that make me smile…

I’ve known Jessica since I was months old and although she is a grade below me our birthdays are only 4 months apart. We met at the park and were friends from the moment we met in the sandbox. I remember her birthday parties, her Sweet 16 and the countless sleepovers we had. I remember playing with Polly-pock-its and Beanie babies. I remember garbage hunting (with our red radio flyer we combed the neighborhood the night before garbage pickup and collected some crazy things, like the Christmas wreaths) and our insane attempt to apply our own fake nails (they were blue and had clouds on them). I remember dance parties in her basement, the time I flew off the swing-set in her backyard landing in the bushes and picking Figs. I remember pancake breakfasts and the terrible sunburn we got one year at the beach (we spent the entire night applying aloe to our backs while we watched Girl, Interrupted). I remember the creation of the Best Friend book and the Teddy Bear we stuffed at the mall before the invention of Build-a-bear. I remember the Pizza dinners,the invention of Silly Suppers (breakfast for dinner), summers at the pool and the time we thought it would be a good idea to drink Slim-fast (it was gross). I remember the birthday party where I have a picture wearing her fathers Firemen’s helmet and the time we went to see the Nutcracker in our fancy party dresses.

I also remember when she moved to Florida in High School and I cried so hard every time we passed her house, that my mom and dad took the family to Florida for our summer vacation. It was a great vacation.

Sure, I have tons of memories, but I want more. I want to see her graduate college and watch her get married. I want to have pizza dinners and pancake breakfasts and I want to be able to grow old with my oldest friend. I’m praying that with her trip to Mexico, she can begin to regain her health.

It’s easy to complain about things that go on in our lives. I do it all the time, but we all must take the time to realize how blessed we are because. At the end of the day, it could be a whole lot worse.

XO,

AC


At one of our many sleepovers. I believe the next morning we ate corn muffins and pancakes.

1 comment: